Google is back in the Formative Assessment Game
Happy days are here again. Google Apps for Education has released their yearly summer toys for teachers to play with and this year they have really delivered. The best of these new toys, in my humble opinion, is the increased functionality of Google Forms to include a quiz option.
I've gotta be honest; I started to use Google Forms last school year, coupled with the auto-grading add-on, Flubaroo but I went in another direction. While it was incredibly convenient, there were other products out there that did the same thing without nearly as much hassle. For example, WEO did everything that Google Forms/Flubaroo did in half the steps. And they even analyzed and sorted the data for you! (For more on WEO, see this blog post)
How to Get Started
So how does it work? See below for some tips and tricks:
1. Turning a normal Google Form into a Google Form Quiz: Simply click the settings (Cog) button in the top right corner and choose 'Quizzes.' Then choose to make the Google Form a quiz and customize your options based on your objective (will students be informed which questions they got wrong, will they be given the right answer, etc.)
2. Click the "Answer Key" button below the question.
3. Choose which answer is correct and how many points the question will be worth.
4. Add answer feedback for correct and incorrect answers.
5. Add links to help struggling learners catch up or extend the learning opportunity of advanced learners.
7. What the Quiz looks like from the student's end:
8. What it looks like from the teacher's end:
|Data is analyzed for teachers and even plugged into the easy to read bar graph. Any questions with below 50% correct will be listed below the Frequently missed questions.|
|Questions are broken down individually and analyzed. Great for seeing what needs to be re-taught and what is already understood.|
|You can also choose to review the student quizzes individually.|
If you want to see tutorial of what Google Forms Quizzes can do, see the video I put together below.